The group of buildings that makes up the Documentation and Cultural Centre occupies a significant position in Heidelberg Old Town.

With its high mansard roof and continuous dust-pan dormers, the middle section of this former warehouse gives the Centre an air of importance.

When the Old Town access road was constructed at Oberen Faulen Pelz during the 1960s, the original southern wing of the complex was demolished, and with it, the U-shaped courtyard.

The newly constructed southern wing over the old cellar vault has recreated the original urban setting. The feeder to the Old Town from Oberen Faulen Pelz has been redesigned, thereby creating a kind of gateway and restoring the former horseshoe-shaped courtyard.

The Centre comprises three elements, which are grouped around the east-facing courtyard:

  1. On the south side, a new section was constructed above part of the historic cellar vault to serve as a foyer and the main entrance to the exhibition, beneath which the projection and lecture hall are located.
  2. The warehouse in the middle dates back to the 18th century and has been fitted out to accommodate the needs of a documentary exhibition. Its historic attic has been redesigned as a memorial walkway through the final section of the exhibition. Revolving exhibitions as well as lectures, concerts and workshops are presented in the historic cellar vault.
  3. The northern section along Zwingerstraße was constructed around 1900. Many Heidelberg residents still remember it as the cinema "Zum Faulen Pelz" and as a restaurant. Today, it contains the administration offices of both the Documentation and Cultural Centre and the Zentralrat Deutscher Sinti und Roma (Central Council of German Sinti and Roma). The staff offices, conference rooms, archives and library are located here.
Sketch of the Gedenksteg by the architect Dieter Quast
Sketch of the southern new building by the architect Dieter Quast